Hi to all oof my comrades... I wanted to introduce myself

By ATWa Latest Activity April 24, 2016 at 11:14 pm Views 1,053 Replies 2 Likes 2

ATWa

My name is Aiyanna and I was diagnosed in 2007, relapsing/remitting. It took 4 years to diagnose. I have a wide range of health issues restless leg, trembling hands, loso of use of fingers, insomnia then sleep at the cra s iest times. I am so glad to have found this community. I have two daughters, 30 and 37 and two grandchildren.
The hardent thing for me is that my famity does not understand or do not want to understand what I go through. Very frustrating. If I put this in the wrong place, I am sorry.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (2 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Dr Gary
    Dr GaryCA April 27, 2016 at 7:31 pm   

Hello Aiyanna, it is so great to meet you. Welcome! I am really glad you found your way to this incredible place. It sounds like you are dealing with a lot. Support is power. Nobody understands what it's like to live with MS more than people who are walking the same path. I am sorry to hear that your famiy is not so understanding. It's hard when the people who are close to you don't get what you are going through. I hope that, little by little, you will be able educate them and that they will receptive to what you can teach them. There are a lot of good articles in the Living with Multiple Sclerosis section of the site that might be helpful to you. And I hope you will stay in touch with us. You are not alone.

• JadeK4142
    JadeK4142 April 26, 2016 at 6:24 pm   

Aiyanna, I understand your frustration with your family not wanting to understand what you're going through. My mother used to tell me that if I would just concentrate, I would get over all this crap. I had a doctor tell me that if I were married, I wouldn't have these problems. But you and I have come to the right place. Here, no one second-guesses us or tells us we're whiners or babies or fakers. We're just people with MS and we cope with it. One thing I can suggest is that you go to nmss.org and order their free publications. They can really help your family understand that yes, I look fine, but I'm not fine. Yes, I am tired but no, I refuse to skip the family reunion — I'll find a way! Yes, I'm tired, and I won't be going out to dinner tonight after all (the best response I ever got to that one was, well, can we bring Chinese to you?) The publications help family members understand that we don't choose our symptoms. And they help our families understand the broad range of symptoms that can hit one individual. Hang in there. I have some form of Progressive MS and my son (38) has just been diagnoses with Relapsing/Remitting MS. He says the best part of having MS is the sudden knowledge that you are one of the toughest people in the world because you get up in the morning wearing a smile. Jade